Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Resurrection

 

In John's Gospel, before he raises Lazarus from the dead, Jesus says, "I am the resurrection and the life." In telling us about Jesus' bringing Lazarus back to the life he had before, John wants to help us look forward in the story to the resurrection of Jesus into new life beyond this one. John also wants to remind us of our resurrection after we die. Resurrection of the body is an important belief of Christians, one of only a dozen or so beliefs professed in the ancient Apostles Creed. Like all important religious beliefs, it is mystery. The Risen Jesus who appears in the Gospels has a body but there are times when his apostles do not recognize him. He is the same yet different. What "resurrection of the body" means for me if that I will be myself for eternity. I will not lose my identity but I will be glorified.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: