Monday, July 16, 2007

Contemplation: Mary's Choice


Last night, as usual, I read over next Sunday's Gospel and some commentaries. The story of Mary's choosing to sit still and listen to Jesus rather than help Martha in the kitchen is a good reminder to me, a year into my retirement, of how I want to spend my time. It may strike some of us that Mary is being inconsiderate of her sister's need.

Luke Timothy Johnson in his commentary says, "Jesus refers rather to the essential note of hospitality which is to pay attention to the guest." In his translation of the passage he has Jesus say, "Mary chose the good part," which is exactly what Luke's Greek says. In a note Johnson says that maybe even closer to Jesus' meaning would be "Mary made the right choice."

I can spend too much of my day busy about nothing. It is still hard for me to learn that being is more important than doing. Jesus is always with me as my guest. I want to spend more time in stillness paying attention to my guest. I will need lots more help from God to make "the right choice."

Happiness is like a butterfly. The more I chase it, the more it will elude me. But if I sit still it comes and softly sits on my shoulder

No comments: