Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Pearl Harbor

A God filled afternoon. Sun shining, beautiful clouds, cooling wind stirring white caps on the bay. Pearl Harbor is an unforgettable experience. Stirred up all kinds of thoughts in me. I sat next to a Japanese American family during the excellent movie about the attack and then stood near four men speaking Japanese while we were on the Arizona Memorial. I wondered what they were thinking and feeling. While President Roosevelt on the screen is speaking of "a day that will go down in infamy," I'm thinking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Mixed feelings. While we are being very solemn and respectful honoring those who died here I am thinking what a terrible waste war is then and now. Japan and U.S. have been friendly nations since not long after we were killing each other in the war that began here.

No comments: